Sunday, January 18, 2009

We Are One - An American Lovefest



The We Are One event lived up to its hype. It was fabulous, even with thousands of people in the audience. We were not able to get near the Lincoln Memorial, but we found a great spot between the Washington Monument and WWII Memorial. We were also standing between two jumbotrons so when the crowd shifted we never really lost our view of the screen. Another bonus -- we were surrounded by a great group of people...we had a blast!





We arrived on the mall about 45 minutes before the concert started and stayed to the end. When it was over, to a person, we said, "it was worth it." Even after we walked 2 1/2 miles back to the hotel after standing for about 4 hours, we were still thrilled to have been there -- very tired and hungry, but completely satisified with the shared experience that celebrated our great country as much our new president. My favorite parts-- Garth Brooks, he rocked the crowd and got us moving., and Denzel Washington, for obvious reasons. :-) All of the messages were inspiring and in some cases, very poignant. Many people in the crowd commented how the concert was well planned. I agree. It was just what we needed to get the celebration going. Interestingly, everyone seemed to be in good spirits. People were courteous, friendly and downright chatty. When I looked around, other than my freinds, I didn't know a soul, but it felt like we had a lot in common. I only got teary eyed once -- when Obama was speaking. I still marvel at what is about to happen on Tuesday.

Tomorrow's agenda -- MLK Day of Service activities and a concert at the National Cathedral.

P.S. It was not nearly as cold as it may have looked on TV. I don't think I've worn thermals since I was a child, but they worked wonders. :-)

Oh, before I go, I have to give a shout out to my sorors. Here are some pics from our National Headquarters building.

3 comments:

  1. I am so jealous! This was a great idea. Can't wait to see and hear more. And love those earrings! LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so happy for you, have an great time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Keela, I'm glad you noticed the earrings. I thought you might!

    ReplyDelete