Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Old Friends and New Friends

Before I tell you all about my great inauguration experience, let me update you on what we did yesterday. The past couple of days have been a whirlwind, so I didn't have time for updates and when I did I was too tired and sleepy. Anyway, none of my plans really worked out on Monday, but it was another great day. Fortunately, I told myself before I left that I would "go with the flow" and just let things happen even though I had outlined an agenda in my mind. Well, we were up late Sunday (again) so we hung around the hotel Monday morning -- leisurely getting ready while teasing each other about who snored the loudest (I did not win that contest, but I won't call out the person who did. You know who you are.)

After our Starbuck's cofffee and Viv's delicious banana nut bread, we were joined by more friends on their way to a concert at the National Cathedral. I intended to join them, but then got sidetracked at the Delta Drop-In in honor of Barack Obama. He didn't show, but as you see, it didn't stop me from getting a photo with him. I caught up with lots of sorority sisters -- they are estimating that about 4,000 Deltas "dropped in" to our National Headquarters yesterday. It was beautiful-- past national presidents were there along with our awesome new president, Cynthia Butler McIntyre. While Sunday was an American lovefest, Monday was a Delta lovefest. We were joined by family and friends, making it a very special day in our sorority life.


After the drop-in, my homegirl Debra and I caught a bite to eat at a neighborhood steakhouse, Annie's, located off Dupont Circle. I recommend it -- especially the steakhouse onion rings. The pear martini is for grown folks only. I had no business with it, but it was yummy.

After catching up with more friends, a quick nap and some street vendor shopping, we took the metro to Silver Springs to have drinks and dinner at the home of another friend. There, I met some new friends -- a family from Fresno, California. Their journey and participation in the inauguration activities is being covered by their local newspaper, The Fresno Bee. Pretty cool, huh? Check them out at http://localsearch.fresnobee.com/sp?keywords=mayberry+family&aff=1100. I've also posted a family photo here -- the group shot of ladies - sisters, cousins, a friend and a niece. I also have a pic of our hosts, Roz and Paul. Thanks for the wonderful dinner!

Finally, just to give you an idea for how everyone is celebrating this American presidency in their own way. I ran across this sign on a home in the neighborhood. They also had the Obama stand-up on their front stoop. Passersby were stopping to take photos. I thought it was hilarious, and pretty bold, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment