Sunday, January 25, 2009

Reflections








Now that a few days have passed, I thought I would look back at the experience. I'm still in the "glow" of it all and happy that I was able to be part of it. Although I almost missed my flight due to the extremely long lines at US Airways (when I arrived there were about 200 people ahead of me for baggage check-in), the trip back was fairly smooth and restful. As we shuttled over to the plane, I sat next to a lady who had withstood the cold temperatures on the mall as well. I said, "Boy, wasn't it cold?" And she replied, "We have to come up with a new word for 'cold.' Cold doesn't really describe it." :-) In fact, even though it is not as cold here, I've been keeping it toasty in the house and in the car, just so I don't have to feel cold again for long periods of time. I'll just have to deal with the bill later.

In many respects, this has been a full circle experience for me. I started with the Obama campaign in the summer of 2007 when not a lot of people thought he had a chance. I didn't know if he could pull it off at that time, but I believed in his vision. I had never felt that kind of conviction for a political candidate before. I hosted a meeting in my home and invited friends to come out and learn more about him. Not everyone was convinced, but we had a great discussion. Now, that meeting seems so long ago and the possibilities are wide open.
So, what's next? Now that we have been inspired by President Obama to take a more active role in our communities, what comes next? Well, I'll be evaluating what I'm currently doing and determining if I'm working in areas where I can really make a difference. I'm not unhappy with my service, but I feel like I need to tackle other areas.

Like many Americans, I'll be following the activities of our new president very closely and looking out for opportunities where I can make a meaningful contribution.

And what about the next inauguration? I'll be there, too. Even in the freezing temperatures -- I've just gotta do it.

Here are some final pics from my album. Thanks for sharing the experience with me.

No comments:

Post a Comment