Tuesday, January 20, 2009

One Great Morning




Inauguration Day - January 20, 2009 - We started out at about 6:15 a.m. walking to the metro. After taking the train from Dupont Circle, we arrived at the L'Enfant station just in time to meet up with thousands of other Americans who were determined to witness this historic event. Despite the enormous crowd, I ran right into a friend from Memphis, Tennessee while walking toward the mall! It really is a small world. Once we arrived on the mall, we discovered that we would not have to stand as far back as we thought we would. After a moment of indecision, we made our way to the nearest jumbotron, trying to stand as close to the edge of the crowd as possible. Our spot was about a half mile from the Capitol, so we were in the first million. Oh, did I mention the frigid temperatures? It was COLD. I mean it was really, really cold. We had our toasties and hand warmers, thermals, jeans, sweaters, sneakers, Uggs knock offs, coats, hats, ear muffs, double layer of socks, and I'm telling you it was cold! Our only saving grace was that the crowd fended off the breeze that came along with the below freezing temperatures. I tried to be of good cheer, but I have to admit that I was miserable for parts of the four hour wait before the ceremony. I tried to past the time my standing in line to buy $6 hot dogs. Yes, I was really, really bored. :-)



Even though it was very uncomfortable, most people were in good spirits and everyone would not have wanted to be any where else on earth. It really turned into a wonderful morning. Once the ceremony got underway, the anticipation was palpable. Every musical note, every arriving dignitary brought us closer to the moment that we came to witness, the swearing in of Barack Obama, our first African American President. In the section we were in, it was a lot like being in church. During the prayer, we heard shouts of "Glory," Hallelujah," and "Praise God." Many older African Americans, some whom were barely able to stand, were clearly overcome by the moment. And so was I. Strangers hugged each other and most of us jumped up and down waving flags, shouting "Obama, Obama, Obama." I'll never forget the faces that were around me -- people of all ages, races and nationalities bound together. I thank God that I was able to be there and represent my family.

Once the swearing-in ceremony ended, we walked over to the Freer Art Gallery to warm up. To our surprise, people were lined along the walls of the galleries, sitting on the floor napping. So, what did we do? We joined them! That's right, I took a nap on the floor of a Smithsonian musuem. I thought it was a little strange, but I was too tired to object. It was the best cat nap I've ever had. I tried to get a snapshot because I knew you wouldn't believe me. Check it out.


After about an hour, we headed out to the metro station, temporarily sidetracked by street vendors set up in the plaza. We soon discovered that the closest metro stations were closed. We decided to walk about 10 blocks to another metro station that was open and accessible. (Good thing we had that nap!) We ended up back at Dupont Circle at about 4:00 or so. We were easily lured to the Krispy Kreme to partake in the two for one Obama doughnut special, since we had done all of that walking! Then we headed over to Starbuck's before walking back to the hotel where we crashed -- HARD. We caught most of the parade on CNN because of the delay, and I'm now watching the Obamas travel from ball to ball. I actually got an invite the Unity ball tonight. My heart and mind were willing, but my feet said absolutely not! Watching the president and first lady from my comfy contour mattress suits me just fine. Aren't they a darling couple?

Well, my roommates are in and out of sleep now. I've got the earliest departure time tomorrow, so will turn in soon. Even though my frozen toes are still tingling as I write this, I have had the time of my life. Just wish that all my friends and famly could have been here, too. See you when I get back. T.

3 comments:

  1. WOW! How exciting? I will say it again backwards; WOW! Thanks so much for the blog. I wanted so badly to be there but with small children it wasn't possible. I can't wait to chat with you when you get back.
    Steph

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Steph. Wish you could have been there. Wil call you this weekend about my sewing lesson. .

    ReplyDelete
  3. I kept looking for you on TV, but just knowing you were there was such a treat. That was one of the most memorable, most momentous events I can ever recall seeing. It ranks up there with watching the historic first steps taken on the moon, but more impactful for the world!

    ReplyDelete